Wednesday, November 11, 2009

What's Wrong?

I was doing some maintenance on a clients 1962 Austin Healey 3000 one day and while driving I noticed that the fuel gauge was not working properly. After removing the fuel sending unit and opening it up, I discovered that the components did not look to be installed correctly. The wiper arm was on the wrong side of the resistor and the resistor was not seated correctly in the housing. (see the photo below) I had never opened up an Austin Healey fuel sender before. So how did I know what it should look like? I didn't, but I did once take apart the fuel sender unit on my Vespa PX. A fuel sending unit consists of a float that is connected to a wire arm with a wiper end that slides back and forth on a variable resistor. When the wiper arm end rests at the grounded or negative end of the resistor the fuel tank is full and the fuel gauge reads full. As the fuel is used and the float drops the wiper arm moves away from the grounded end of the resistor and the resistance increases, the fuel gauge moves toward empty. With that said I carefully lifted the resistor and relocated the wiper to the correct side, I did have to bend it a little to keep pressure on the resistor. When I put the resistor back into its resting place I made sure that it was seated all of the way down. I reassembled the unit and reinstalled it into the tank, after hooking the wires back up it was time for a test. The gauge read what the tank had in it, problem solved. I guess that since I had taken my Vespa fuel sender apart once, it helped me to see the clues that solved the problem. Yet another case of complex problem simple solution. (In the photo below is the resistor in its proper resting place)

1 comment:

  1. This is the same reason I like watching Wheeler Dealer where Ed gets a cool vintage car with problems and methodically solves each issue by thorough investigation. Breaking things down to the simplest equation. That's cool. Wish I had the gift.

    ReplyDelete